Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Addiction

I have this love for plants and flowers....an addiction really. It is so bad that I tend to stay away from garden centers and greenhouses, I usually buy way too much which means Brian is constantly digging new flower beds. It is amazing the transformation our yard has taken in the last five years we have lived here. I love this little guy below....I heard somewhere once that gargoyles keep your home safe, I am not sure if that is true but I just think that he adds character to our yard.

This year we added a few vegetables to our yard per Carter's request. We opted for terra cotta pots instead of a garden in the yard. We are just testing the waters to see if we want to do a larger version next year. We planted purple peppers, grape tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant and Jack-B pumpkins....all were hand picked by Carter and he also helped to plant them.






This a hibiscus was a birthday gift from all my boys.....love it!

This lovely little mixed sedum pot was a gift from my mom and is flourishing....can't wait to make room to get these little babies in the ground.
Below are the plants that grow around our pond. The pond started out as my project but Brian has grown to love it and has taken over. (which is great since I struggle to pull weeds) We have had a tough pond year so far and have lost about six koi fish....I think we will stick with the cheap comets for awhile.







I am not quite sure why but lilies are one of my favorite flowers, they always seem so bright and happy.


These sweet little pansies below were gifted to Carter by the owner of one the greenhouses we frequent, we had a grand time the day we planted them.
This gerbera daisy was a gift to celebrate the arrival of Elijah last spring and I must say when it made it's way to the front porch this spring it only had one yellow leaf...what a transformation! A true survivor story!


We have been having a lot of wind as of late and Carter and I have been finding nests that have fallen out of trees. He loves them....and I must admit it is very incredible the way birds are able to build such homes for their young. These two nests have started what I am sure will become a collection. Carter and I now keep our eyes open for any fallen nests to add.
My yard is truly a labor of love and something I am quite proud of, especially since I have no clue what I am doing. I encourage you all to stop by if you are ever in the area....we would be happy to give you a tour and a nice cool drink as we catch up on the porch!








































































































































No comments: